Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Drawing.......

James 4:1 says, "What is causing the quarrels and fights among you?  Don't they come from the evil desires at war within you?"  But scripture repeatedly says shouldn't we just trust God to give us what we need!  Being exposed in a different culture, I am beginning to see this more clearly both in the overall population ("I want mine!") and especially in my own life! 

One example, we are finally spending our last funds (significant sum) to put transformers in for the camp.  In preparation, I have been cutting down trees to clear a path and because the local 'Barrio Presidente' (mayor, elderman, ect) asked me to because they are hanging over the wall.  As providence goes, the tree's and post for the transformer happen to sit directly in front of the Presidente's house.  As I was cutting, a rather large limb fell into the road on the other side.  Three of the local ladies proceeded to scold me to be careful as I scurried over the wall to recover it.  Then, yesterday while showing the location to the electrical engineer assigned to the project, I was accosted again by the same group insisting on us providing rock for their road in front of their houses.  You can see the picture unfolding, especially those who've experienced any cross-cultural interaction.  I found myself gravitating toward irritation, "What do I need to do for these people?"  I called on Pastor Miguel to speak with him to 'smooth over' the situation.  After discussion, we found out that they want 10K (on top of the cost of installation) from us since they recently spent money upgrading. Pastor knows him well and has paid for previous projects through the foundation. El Presidente has asked for two weeks to speak with his 'barrio'. Growing up in Philadelphia, I know a good old shakedown when I see one! This reminds me once again that clearly I'm not in control of anything!  Please pray for the Lords will.  Its a good old, fashioned standoff.....

The question shouldn't be "What can I do for them, or them for me?" but "How can and do I continue to love them as Christ loves me despite the circumstance or others choices?"  The only way I know how is drawing closer to GOD.....

No comments:

Post a Comment